Ray Batvinis Books
Read Chapter One – 2nd Book
Read the first chapter of Hoover's Secret War Against Axis Spies: FBI Counterespionage During World War II. This complete chapter tells the story of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover's moment-by-moment weekend when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Read the Chapter
Praise for Hoover’s Secret War
"This is a monumental book, breaking new ground in the field of secret intelligence. . . . I strongly suspect Batvinis will write a third book, covering the early years of the Cold War. When complete, that body of work should stand alongside Rick Atkinson’s Liberation trilogy as an essential source for anyone interested in America’s soldiers and spies."—Tim Weiner, National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize recipient; has written extensively about US intelligence
FBI in Moscow
Read a fascinating article by Ray Batvinis about FBI Agent Louis Beck who was sent undercover to the US Embassy in Moscow during WW2 to assess the security situation in the embassy. What he found was shockingly lax security attitudes that allowed the Soviet NKVD control of the place -- and of secret US codes. Read more
FBI in Honolulu
Relive the hour-to-hour experiences of the FBI field office in Honolulu as they respond to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941. Read more
Future of FBI CI
Read The Future of FBI Counterintelligence Through the Lens of the Past Hundred Years, an essay by Ray Batvinis which was published in The Oxford Handbook of National Security Intelligence.
Lecture in Paris
Ray Batvinis gave a lecture about "Secrets of the FBI, World War II and France." Watch
Talk at State Department
Ray Batvinis lectures about his book, “Hoover’s Secret War Against Axis Spies,” at the State Department. Watch
Recent Blog Posts
- The Kidnap Racket: E.J. Connelley and the Weyerhaeuser Kidnapping
- Secrets of the FBI, World War II and France
- My Afternoon Journey
- Review of book in Michigan War Studies Review
- Windflyer: The John Walker Spy Case
- Civil Liberties and National Security: Did Hoover Get it Right?
- Was Roger Hollis a British patriot or Soviet spy?
- Charley and the Lab
- FBI Counterespionage During World War II
- Should he or Shouldn’t he?
- EVENT: British Patriot or Soviet Spy? Clarifying A Major Cold War Mystery – April 10
- From the “Grapevine” – ABSCAM
Check out all the videos on FBI Studies related to FBI history and espionage. Video Page